Thursday, March 19, 2015

Why Read Detective Fiction This Summer

www.vbctulsa.com
I learned the joy of reading detective mystery books when I was in third year high school. Before that, I read only martial arts books even though my dad tried to lure me with the many books he kept buying on mysteries--books by Agatha Christie, Alfred Hitchcock, and Sherlock Holmes. He also bought Readers Digest monthly.

Finally, one hot summer, I just decided to pick up one Agatha Christie pocketbook and started reading. I was stunned to see myself finishing the whole book. Ordinarily, when it wasn't on martial arts, I easily fell asleep after reading 2 to 3 pages. But this time, I couldn't stop till I finished the whole thing. I told my dad about it and he looked so accomplished.

That started my reading journey. Since then, I gave my dad another problem--I was spending lots of money and time on reading. Fact was, I even came out of the restroom with piles of books in hand--after spending 2 hours in there reading books while doing what people usually did in restrooms. I almost completely neglected my college course in favor of reading various books, and that made my dad worry.

Now, why read detective fiction this summer?

Simple--so you'd turn out better intellectually equipped come the new school year. And why detective fiction? Because books like this keep you in suspense and asking for more. Never a dull or boring moment. And you get everything--suspense, thriller, mystery, action, romance, and comedy. Well, if you're not a student anymore, it helps you better perform in your career. Here are reasons why:

  • It helps you develop analysis and logical thinking
  • Develops your attention for detail
  • Helps you think sharply and smartly
  • It challenges your reasoning and problem solving ability
  • It makes you more alert and aware
  • It makes you more observant and thorough
  • Broadens your imagination
  • Enriches your vocabulary and improves grammar
  • Helps you write better
  • You get to travel "around the world" without leaving home
In fact, I got lots of managerial positions in companies owing greatly to my reading habit more than my schooling--I didn't have any school credentials, actually. 

And there's no better time to indulge in reading than in summer when you have more time for hobbies and adventures. Here's a site on mystery-detective e-books to checkout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting the best part from the best of everyday life. With an eye for detail and a habit for scrutiny, it is easy to spot what really counts in life even a mile away. You get the choice cut from Choy's Cut! Visit my blog often for the best and latest in life.

11 Sites for Virtual Appointment Setter Jobs

What do you need to be a work-from-home (WFH) virtual appointment setter (VAS)? Nothing but imagination, guts and a doer spirit. High school...