Saturday, May 16, 2015

SERIOUS DEBATE THIS MORNING: Sauteed Monggo or Chicken for Lunch?

Here's what's left of it.
We had a debate about lunch--what's more fitting, sauteed monggo or chicken? I and my dear wife were discussing advantages and disadvantages this morning as we had a short brisk walk in the neighborhood and did some local shopping.

First, we went to the street corner grocery, Nori Mart, and bought some ingredients. I left my wife there and went to the nearby bakery for some local pandesal and had a brief chat with the woman proprietor who is a born again Christian. Later, my wife and I met and continued with our "soft" debate while buying fresh chicken at the nearby "talipapa."

We bought the chicken, finally, when my wife decided the monggo dish could come later. She said the sauteed chicken (Tinola) would be ideal for lunch. So, the debate that started democratic ended up with a totalitarian decision. When she said, "It's tinola for lunch," that was it. The discussion ended right then and there. We discussed about another topic in the agenda.

Then we dropped by Nayon--the other talipapa (small wet market) along Assistant Street where fruits and vegetables were sold. I and my dear wife call it Nayon because the ambiance is like that of a small town in the province. Among things we bought there was my favorite saba (a type of local banana) which I love eating uncooked.

So, when we reached home she prepared the recipe with the help of my son while I continued with my online job and my business blogs. Here are the ingredients:

  • Chopped fresh chicken (any part will do)
  • 5 pieces of garlic
  • Ginger about twice the size of  nose, peeled and sliced
  • Chopped onions
  • Peeled and chopped almost ripe papaya
  • Some sliced tomatoes 
  • Moringa (malunggay) and red chili leaves
First, saute the ginger until light brown. Then add the chicken with the chopped  onions, garlic and tomatoes (put a little fish sauce to taste) until the spice flavors have been absorbed by the chicken. Then pour the right amount of water plus the chopped papaya and bring to a boil. Add some salt to taste.

When the papaya pieces are cooked, add the green leaves. A few seconds more and it's all ready to be served. So, that was what we ate, and you know what? My wife was right. The monggo dish could come later (though it's also among my favorites). We had a swell lunch, thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting the best part from the best of everyday life. With an eye for detail and a habit for scrutiny, it is easy to spot what really counts in life even a mile away. You get the choice cut from Choy's Cut! Visit my blog often for the best and latest in life.

11 Sites for Virtual Appointment Setter Jobs

What do you need to be a work-from-home (WFH) virtual appointment setter (VAS)? Nothing but imagination, guts and a doer spirit. High school...