Skip to main content

I was Food Fest Judge Yesterday at Bresee Nazarene School

Yesterday, February 25, 2015, was Bresee Nazarene School Foundation cultural show, food fest, and awarding ceremony at the Parkway Village Clubhouse in Quezon City. They held a week long program of various special school activities and yesterday was the grande finale. I was invited over as a judge for their food fest which featured Philippine regional native food recipes. Mostly were Muslim dances and recipes, though. 

I was looking for Ilocano, Ifugao, Kapampangan and Tagalog recipes but all I found was Vigan Langgonisa. I was also hoping to watch Ifugao and Ilocano dances but didn't see any. Anyway, here are some pictures:

Grade 4  rendition of Mindanao Singkil where a princes,
aide, and a warrior danced amid crisscrossing bamboos.



My son also played had a lot of roles in the program. I actually thought he'd do an arnis-eskrima number--finally developing a taste for sticks martial arts--but then it turned out to be something completely different--stick dance. 

I thought it was an arnis-eskrima move, the one
my son always sees me doing. I was about to shout in excitement.
But then it was part of a cultural dance...
Look at him go!

He did some Tinikling, too!

The food fest was a different experience. I enjoyed my first tastes of Muslim chicken and other recipes plus unique gelatin presentations. I also enjoyed a lot of ref cakes with lots of mangoes!




There! So I guess that kinda signals the onset of summer this year! With BNS foundation over, all that remain are the NAT, March camping, Recognition Day, and Graduation Day. Then it'll be summer finally full swing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harvard Study Says Chicken Skin is Healthy!

You used to take off chicken skin because doctors and nutritionists said it's bad for your heart. So, with broken hearts we did so, stripping the golden brown and juicy skin from our roasted or grilled chicken and couldn't believe we were actually throwing away all that goodness into the trash.

And we wondered why God made chicken skin so delicious just so we could throw it all away.

But a new Harvard study says chicken skin is actually good for your health---to be specific, your heart health. It says most of the fatty part of chicken skin (the most mouthwatering one) is unsaturated and healthy for the heart. And that's according to studies done by the Harvard School of Public Health, no less.

Unsaturated fat can lower your cholesterol and blood pressure, the Harvard school said, according to an article on The Daily Meal site titled "Doctor's Got It All Wrong!" So, if the study is correct (I'm waiting for another "study" to contradict this---al…

Both Laziness and Busyness Make You Fat?

Well, it's a combination of laziness, busyness and technology. In your laziness you relegate all chores to technology in the guise of busyness. Instead of manually washing your clothes, for instance, you buy a washing machine because you say you are too busy to do it yourself.

When I was in high school and college, not only did I do manual laundry, I also used an old-fashioned water pump for it. Since we had the water pump in the backyard, my dad said using it instead of turning on the faucet would save us lots of money on our water bill. So I did that for years. No wonder I didn't get fat even if I ate a lot.



Metabolism? Well, it helped some, but I also got easily overweight when I ate too much. There was a time when I gained weight so that my face doubled in size (no, I think it tripled). It was the time when I did nothing but man our small retail store where I ate most of the food items being sold.

Here's another example. You use the elevator or escalator even if you&#…

Do You Know the Right Way of Eating Fruits 2

Previously on Right Way of Eating Fruits

Another mistake people do when eating fruits is eating them long after peeling their skin. Not many people know this, but all fresh fruits are alkaline, even soir ones. I met one "nutritionist" who thought sour fruits were all purely acidic---just because they were sour.

Take kalamansi for instance. Fresh kalamansi is alkaline. Those who know herbal medicine know this. But make sure you consume it right after slicing it open. If you let it lie open like that for a long time it becomes acidic. Moreover, the Vitamin C in it quickly evaporates. You get nothing but sourness.

So those fruit juices sold in bottles in grocries and malls? You get nothing from them except water, flavor, sugar and synthetic Vitamin C perhaps, which is acidic. If you want to keep fit, an acidic tummy is the last thing you'd want.

Here are my secrets on how I get physically fit. Click here.

If you peel off a banana, make sure you eat the whole thing now. Don&#…